Below you will find the most recent builds for SQL Server 2012 – RTM, Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, and Service Pack 3. As always, please be sure to perform full regression testing before deploying any builds (including service packs) to production instances. Kendra Little has a nice post about this.
In addition to trying to stay on the most recent releases in order to have the most recent fixes and enhancements, be sure to check out this CSS blog post and KB #2964518 : Recommended updates and configuration options for SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 used with high-performance workloads, which is full of useful advice.
Service Pack 3 was first made available on November 22, 2015; you can download it here and read more at the following sites:
- KB #3072779 : SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 3 release information
- SQL Release Services Blog : SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 3 is now Available!
- Tiger Team : SQL Server 2012 SP3 is now available!
- Kendra Little : SQL Server 2012 SP3 Adds Memory Grant and Performance Features
The most interesting fixes in SP3, at least to me, are:
- KB #3107398 : Improved memory grant diagnostics (in sys.dm_exec_query_stats)
- KB #3107400 : Improved tempdb spill diagnostics in Showplan
- KB #3107401 : New query memory grant options (hints) are available
- KB #3107397 : Improved diagnostics for query execution plans (Actual Rows Read)
But probably the best thing about this service pack? Unlike most service packs, this one includes all of the fixes from the latest cumulative update on the preceding branch at the time of release (so everything from 2012 SP2 CU9, but not CU10 or later).
The download page for SQL Server 2012 SP3 Cumulative Updates always has the latest CU. If you need an earlier CU, you can usually find it in the Microsoft Update Catalog, though the list changes depending on your search terms.
|Build Name||Build #||KB Article||Date||New Fixes (public)|
LAST CU FOR 2012 SP3
|11.0.6537||KB #3152635||21 (21)|
|11.0.6523||KB #3137746||2016-03-22||21 (19)|
|11.0.6518||KB #3123299||2016-01-20||8 (8)|
|11.0.6216||KB #3125246||2016-01-29||1 (1)|
|11.0.6020||KB #3072779||2015-11-22||37 (37)|
For official information about SQL Server 2012 builds released after Service Pack 3, see KB #3133750. The latest Cumulative Update will always be available at this download page. If you need any of the earlier Cumulative Updates, you'll need to get them from the Microsoft Update Catalog (see Jonathan Kehayias' post about this here).