UPDATE: October 23, 2014
A random winner has been selected: Shawn Melton (blog | @wsmelton). Congratulations Shawn! We've sent a few swag packages out as consolation prizes, too. Here is one of the tweets that helped Shawn win:
— Shawn Melton (@wsmelton) October 13, 2014
A couple of other tweets from the contest:
— Erik D (@dumb_chauffeur) October 20, 2014
— Sheldon Hull (@TheAlphaSheldon) October 7, 2014
What did Shawn win?
Plan Explorer is a powerful query plan optimization tool that takes plan analysis to an entirely new level. It builds upon the graphical plan view in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and allows you to quickly get to the root cause of tough SQL Server query optimization issues. Plan Explorer is available as a free version and a PRO version.
Features of the free version of Plan Explorer include:
- Color-coding that highlights potential trouble areas.
- Multiple grids and other views to allow for sorting and deeper analysis.
- Collection of real runtime metrics with the generation of actual plans.
- Upload plans to Answers.SQLPerformance.com to receive advice from industry experts.
Plan Explorer PRO includes all of the features in the free version, plus these and other features:
- Layout toolbar to allow you to easily manage bigger query plans.
- Multiple query tuning plans or sessions can be compared side-by-side.
- Different versions of your query can be kept within a single session.
- Contextual comments can be added to any version of your plan.